I’m engaged… what Now?

First things first, Pick a date. If you’re not too fussed on the date, pick your venue and work around when they are available. Also think about if you’ve got your heart set on a particular flower to use and check when they are in season.. Peonies for instance I feel like are only available like 6 days in the year!

Date / Venue picked – next, book in your Celebrant, Photographer & Videographer, these are the services that most likely book a year, sometimes more, in advance.

Do I actually have to say anything?

For a marriage to be legally solemnised. There are just a few simple things that need to happen. The Legal paperwork – Notice Of Intended Marriage (Due 1 month prior to Ceremony), Declaration Of No Legal Impediment (Signed closest to, but prior to the Ceremony), Official Certificate of Marriage (Signed at the Ceremony with 2 witnesses) and the Form 15 – Certificate of Marriage (Signed at the Ceremony with 2 witnesses).

Monitum – Spoken by the Authorised Marriage Celebrnat

I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law. Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which are you now about to enter. Marriage according to law in Australia is the union of two people, with the exclusion of all others voluntarily entered into for life.

Mandatory Vows – Spoken by both you and your partner

I ask the people here today to witness that I (Full Name) take you (Partners Full Name) to be my lawful wedded (husband/wife/spouse)

When is the earliest I can get married?

In 1 month. The first legal form – Notice Of Intended Marriage (NOIM) needs to be lodged no later than 1 month prior to your Ceremony. For example; if you complete the NOIM on 15th January 2017 the earliest date you can be married is 15th February 2017.

When completing the NOIM, your celebrant will need to see from you both, Proof of Birth Place and Photo ID. Which can be done with a Passport or Birth Certificate (not an extract) & Drivers License

I need to get married ASAP!

If you cannot wait 1 month, you can apply for a Shortening Of Time. However, there are very strict guidelines. Your application must be for;

1. Employment related or other travel commitments,

2.Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations,

3.Medical reasons

4.Legal proceedings

5.Error in giving notice.

Contact the prescribed authority, Births Deaths and Marriages (in Australia), to discuss your circumstances and get more information on 1300366430.

When and How can I change my name?

It is not compulsory to change your name to your partners, but if you want to, you will need an Official Marriage Certificate. I will apply for this when I submit your legal paperwork after the Ceremony. The Marriage Certificate you receive from your Celebrant at your ceremony is only a commemorative one.

How long should my ceremony go for?

Personally, I think a ceremony should not go longer than 20 minutes. Think that’s too short? Go stand outside or in your living room, holding hands looking at each other with a stop watch.. 20 mins is a long time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close